His successes – in and out of the courtroom – have earned him accolades from his clients and distinguished members of the legal community throughout the nation. Over the years, Alan has earned a reputation not only for his legal astuteness but also for his tireless dedication to successfully and aggressively representing the interests of his clients. As a senior partner in the firm, Alan brings to each case a wealth of experience in both state and federal courts and arbitrations, and has been selected to provide legal services to individuals, partnerships, and corporations of every size successfully representing both plaintiffs and defendants. On the plaintiff side, Alan recently obtained the largest verdict in Texas probate court history where the jury awarded his client in excess of $2 Billion on a breach of trust case, which was the highest verdict in the United States in 2017, and the ninth largest verdict in United States history. (Read more on Probate Court verdict here). On the defense side, Alan defeated claims against his clients totaling hundreds of millions of dollars. Alan’s expertise includes such complex areas of the law as real estate, contracts, partnerships, securities, class actions, oil and gas, construction, sports litigation, insurance, intellectual property, professional liability and fraud disputes, wrongful death and product liability claims, and he has successfully represented clients in both domestic and international arbitrations. Alan has represented public corporations, privately held business interests and individuals, including high profile celebrities and athletes such as Kenny Rogers, Shaquille O’Neal, and Hakeem Olajuwon.
Alan’s efforts have earned both favorable outcomes for his clients and the respect of his peers, as reflected in his impressive list of honors.
In 2015, ballots were sent to more than 80,000 lawyers in the state of Texas to name the top Texas Super Lawyers, a Thompson Reuters service. As a result of that balloting and a blue ribbon panel review, and as in past years, Alan was named in Texas Monthly magazine as one of the Top 100 Lawyers in the state of Texas. Alan was also honored, as in past years, as one of the Top 100 Lawyers in the Dallas/Fort Worth region.
For the year 2019, as well as in past years, Alan has been selected as one of only 19 lawyers in Dallas and only one of 43 lawyers in the state of Texas to be included in both the Bet-the-Company Litigation and Commercial Litigation categories for The Best Lawyers in America, by Woodward White, a listing of the top lawyers in America based on more than two million confidential evaluations of lawyers nationwide.
In 2018, as in past years, Alan also was recognized by his peers and D Magazine as one of the best business litigators in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and in 2015, American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell selected Alan as a 2015 legal leader in real estate law.
Alan was also selected for membership into the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Civil Plaintiff Trial Lawyers for the year 2015.
In 2010, Alan was selected by the Advisory Board of Litigation Counsel of America for Fellowship in the Litigation Counsel of America. The LCA is an honorary trial lawyer society whose membership is limited to less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers. The Texas LCA Fellow delegation includes only approximately 252 lawyers, judges and/or law professors in the state of Texas. Fellows are selected based upon excellence and accomplishment in litigation, both at the trial and appellate levels, and superior ethical reputation.
In 2006, Alan and his partner, Jim Flegle, were named among the inaugural class of “The Defenders” by The Dallas Business Journal. This elite designation recognizes “the most brilliant legal minds in the Dallas/Fort Worth area”–an honor bestowed upon only 15 lawyers for their notable work in commercial defense litigation.
- Represented oil and gas company sued by investors for $25 million. Jury ruled in favor of LFDS client awarding the plaintiffs no money. The Trial Court entered judgment confirming the jury verdict and the judgment was upheld on appeal.
- Represented executor of estate and general partner of partnership sued for breach of fiduciary duty and to dissolve the partnership. Jury ruled in favor of LFDS clients finding no liability for breach of fiduciary duty. Judge ruled in favor of LFDS clients and did not terminate the partnership.
- Represented Shaquille O’Neal and Hakeem Olajuwon who were sued by promoter in New Jersey State Court. Obtained dismissal by the Court of all claims against O’Neal and Olajuwon.
- Named one of Best Lawyers in D Magazine for 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, and 2005
- Selected by fellow members of the Texas Bar Association to be named among the Top 100 Texas Super Lawyers, a Thompson Reuters service in 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004 and 2003
- Selected by fellow members of the Texas Bar Association to be named among the Top 100 Super Lawyers in the Dallas/Fort Worth region for 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2005 and 2004
- Selected to be included in 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, and 2007 editions of The Best Lawyers in America, by Woodward White
- Selected in 2010, 2008, and 2007 as a member of the Lawdragon 3000-Leading Plaintiffs’ Lawyers in America, recognizing the top 3,000 plaintiffs’ lawyers in the country
- Selected in 2006 as member of the Lawdragon 3000-Leading Lawyers in America, recognizing the top less than one percent of the legal profession in the country
- Member of American Board of Trial Advocates
- Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Prominent Lawyers
- Higginbotham Inn of Court
- State Bar of Texas
- Various Federal Courts and Courts of Appeals
- Dallas Trial Lawyers Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- American Bar Association