Craig is an accomplished trial lawyer who has served as lead counsel in complex, high-stakes business disputes in courts and arbitrations across the country. Craig has helped clients ranging from large public companies to local entrepreneurs achieve significant victories on both sides of the docket. His talents and track record have earned him many awards, including being listed in Best Lawyers in America (2016 and 2017), being recognized as one of the top 100 lawyers in Texas by Super Lawyers (2015 and 2017) and in DFW by Super Lawyers (2014-2017) by Thomson Reuters and being selected by his peers among the Best Lawyers in Dallas as published in D Magazine (2014-2017).
Craig’s master’s degree in accounting and his prior experience as a CPA make him well-suited for tackling the complex finance, accounting and valuation issues that are often critical in business litigation. He regularly represents official committees, liquidating trusts and other parties in bankruptcy and insolvency-related disputes, including fraudulent transfer litigation, fiduciary duty and supplier disputes, plan confirmation contests, and claims litigation. Craig’s practice also includes a variety of other commercial litigation, including contract and business tort claims, UCC litigation, trade secrets disputes and WARN Act litigation.
Prior to co-founding Simon, Ray & Winikka (one of LFDS’s predecessor firms) in 2012, Craig was a long-time partner in the business litigation and bankruptcy/restructuring groups of one of the world’s most prominent international law firms.
Before attending law school, Craig practiced as a CPA with a Big 4 accounting firm and a national real estate developer. He has taught at Southern Methodist University’s Dedman School of Law, and is a member of the State Bar of Texas, the American Bankruptcy Institute and the Dallas Bar Association.
Away from the office and courtroom, Craig is active in a variety of civic and charitable endeavors, including the Leadership Dallas Class of 2013.
- Obtained $12 million arbitration award in favor of semiconductor manufacturer after two-week hearing on contract claims
- Obtained $8 million judgment after two-week trial on fraudulent transfer and contract claims against former CEO of medical practice roll-up company
- Represented creditors’ committee in Chapter 11 case where the debtors and the committee successfully resolved approximately $1.7 billion in cross-border intercompany claims and hundreds of millions of dollars in third-party claims against the debtors
- Served as lead trial counsel to liquidating trusts that recovered a substantial settlement of fraudulent transfer and breach of contract litigation
- Represented German insolvency administrator in litigation in Bankruptcy Court in Dallas
- Obtained dismissal of putative WARN Act class action brought against private equity firm
- Represented equity committee in plan confirmation litigation that led to negotiated resolution where pre-bankruptcy stockholders retained majority of shares of reorganized entity
- Represented secured creditor in successful challenge to plan confirmation involving high-rise condominium building
- Member of trial team that represented coal mining company in obtaining damages for breach of contract arbitration with coal purchaser
- Successfully defended tier 1 automotive parts supplier in multi-week arbitration of dispute with component parts supplier
- Part of team that represented technology company in obtaining injunction against competitor to preclude misappropriation of trade secrets
- Obtained dismissal of fraud claims brought against client by purchaser under $100 million stock purchase agreement
- Represented unsecured creditor in pursuit and successful resolution of claims against customer in its U.S. and Japanese bankruptcy cases
- Member of litigation team for liquidating trustee in professional negligence litigation that resulted in $30 million settlement by Big 4 accounting firm
- AV Preeminent (highest possible) Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, reflecting the confidential opinions of members of the bar and judiciary
- Selected to Texas Super Lawyers List by Thomson Reuters – 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America by Best Lawyers/Woodward White, Inc. – 2016 and 2017
- Top 100 Lawyers in Texas by Thomson Reuters – 2015 and 2017
- Top 100 Lawyers in DFW by Thomson Reuters –2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017
- “Best Lawyers in Dallas” by D Magazine – 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- “The Attorney-Client Privilege Within Corporate Families: Learning from Teleglobe.” Published in American Bankruptcy Institute Bankruptcy Litigation Committee Newsletter, March 2008
- Moderator – Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors Annual Bankruptcy & Restructuring Conference, “Managing the Courtroom,” June 2017
- Panelist – Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors Webinar, “Fraudulent Transfers – A Legal and Valuation Perspective,” June 2014
- Speaker – AT&T In-house Counsel, “Trade Secrets: Recent Developments and Strategies,” October 17, 2013
- Panelist – State Bar of Texas Bankruptcy Law Section 10th Annual Bench/Bar Conference, “Hands on Litigation Tools,” June 2013
- Speaker – Jones Day Dallas MCLE University, “Urban Legends in Contract Law,” October 2011
- Panelist – The Wharton Club of Dallas Fort Worth, “Corporate Bankruptcy and Restructuring,” November 2010
- Speaker – Nationally Syndicated West LegalEdcenter Webcast, “The Impact of Bankruptcy on IP Litigation and Licensing,” August 2010
- Speaker – Jones Day Dallas MCLE University, “Current Ethics Issues for In-House Counsel,” November 2009
- Speaker – Dallas Bar Association Trial Skills Section, “Temporary Restraining Orders and Injunctions,” December 2004
- Southern Methodist University (J.D. magna cum laude 1992; Order of the Coif; Notes and Comments Editor, Southwestern Law Journal)
- The University of Texas at Austin (M.P.A. 1983; B.B.A.1982)