Jim spent the first 24 years of his career at Bracewell, serving as the managing partner of the firm’s Dallas office and on the firm’s Management Committee. He is admitted to practice in all Texas courts, all United States District Courts in Texas, the United States Courts of Appeals for the Fifth, Seventh, Ninth, Eleventh and Federal Circuits, and the Supreme Court of the United States. He represents clients nationwide. Jim has worked both sides of the docket in complex commercial disputes, including intellectual property, oil and gas, contracts, partnerships, real estate, fraud, trusts and estates, employment and professional liability. He represents officers and directors in Sarbanes-Oxley matters before the SEC and in court. He is also experienced in domestic and international arbitrations.
Jim was recognized by VerdictSearch for his contributions to the Nation’s Top Verdict for 2017. He was also admitted in 2018 to America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators®.
Jim has been recognized by his peers and D Magazine as one of the best business litigators in the Dallas area multiple times. Also, in 2010, as in past years, Jim was recognized as one of The Top 100 Texas Super Lawyers, a Thompson Reuters service in the DFW area. In 2009, he was recognized as one of The Top 100 in the state.
In 2006, Jim was named as one of “The Defenders” by the Dallas Business Journal. This elite designation recognized “the most brilliant minds in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area” – an honor bestowed for notable work in commercial defense. Jim was also selected for The Best Lawyers in America, by Woodward White in the categories of Commercial Litigation, Intellectual Property, Patent, and Securities since 2007. The Best Lawyers in America, by Woodward White is a listing of the top lawyers in America based on more than two million confidential evaluations of lawyers by lawyers nationwide.
- Named one of Best Lawyers in Dallas by D Magazine multiple times
- Selected by fellow members of the Texas Bar Association to be named among the Texas Super Lawyers, a Thompson Reuters service each year since 2004
- Selected by fellow members of the Texas Bar Association to be named among the Top 100 Super Lawyers in the Dallas/Ft. Worth region
- Selected to be included in The Best Lawyers in America, by Woodward White
- College of the State Bar
- Higginbotham Inn of Court, Barrister
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Raven Society
- University of Kentucky Intercollegiate Debate Hall of Fame
- Chairman of the Board, The J.W. Patterson Foundation for Academic Excellence in Speech and Debate
- University of Kentucky Board of Trustees (1973-1974)
- American Board of Trial Advocates, President of Dallas Chapter, 2009; Dallas Executive Committee Member
- Dallas Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Dallas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Houston Bar Foundation
- State Bar of Texas Grievance Committee District 6A, Member (1996-1999); State Bar of Texas Advertising Review Committee, Member (2003-2006)
- “Tortious Interference in Texas,” April 2003, Dallas, Texas
- “Spoliation of Evidence: Duties, Defenses and Remedies,” July 2002, Houston and Dallas, Texas
- “Overcoming Evidentiary Objections,” November/December 2002, Houston and Dallas, Texas
- “Evidence Tampering and Destruction,” June 2003, Houston and Dallas, Texas
- “Tort Reform and Insurance Law: Exemplary Damages,” August 2003, Houston and Dallas, Texas
- “Advanced Civil Discovery: Evidence Tampering and Destruction,” February and March 2004, Houston and Dallas, Texas
- “Advanced Personal Injury and Insurance Law,” April 2004, Houston and Dallas, Texas
- “Advanced Civil Litigation: Exemplary Damages Update,” May 2006; January, February and April 2007