Paula has spent her career working on some of the most complex litigation matters in the country. Those cases have often involved new legal theories or application of existing law in cutting-edge ways, allowing Paula to constantly explore novel and fresh ways to look at a case. Paula’s litigation experience is broad-based and includes all phases of litigation including appeals. She especially enjoys and excels at strategic case planning that has often resulted in early and cost-effective victories for her clients through motion practice. While much of her work has been on “bet-the-company” cases that made national headlines, Paula also has extensive experience handling smaller commercial and single-plaintiff tort cases, including many involving medical malpractice and product liability claims. Her ability to develop and implement effective upfront strategies for those cases has often resulted in either complete victory for her clients or extremely favorable settlements.
Paula brings to all her cases, large and small, a commitment to quality, a focus on client needs, and a promise to think outside the box where needed to solve her clients’ problems.
- As lead counsel for cases in the southwest region of the U.S., successfully litigated numerous claims involving allegedly misread results on behalf of national laboratory.
- Represented plaintiff in contract dispute that involved claims of negligence, fraud, breach of warranty, breach of contract, and violations of the Deceptive Trade Practices Act, leading to favorable recovery through mediation.
- Reached successful mediation result for prospective buyer sued for breach of contract in connection with residential home purchase. Defended international chemical company in several suits claiming damages from exposure to various chemicals, including obtaining dismissal of 23-plaintiff action in federal court.
- Part of the trial team that won a defense verdict in a months-long trial in federal court in one of the only cases to go to trial in the years-long wave of public entity firearms litigation. Also played a lead role in preparing trial and appellate level briefs in the 20+ other municipal firearms cases, resulting in dismissal of most of the remaining cases.
- Part of team that successfully defended a leading utility company against multiple federal cases—including a class action claim—brought by individuals and groups allegedly impacted by global warming.
- Coordinated class-action defense of leading toy manufacturer in connection with voluntary recalls of toys that contained lead in excess of regulatory standards.
- Member of the national coordinating counsel team representing a national vehicle manufacture in multi-district litigation involving over 200 cases; prepared and successfully argued Daubert motions and helped fashion and implement a strategy to close the MDL after only a few years.
- Oversaw complex settlement of claims of more than 100 plaintiffs arising from international airline disaster.
- Defended various other claims in Texas state court, including premises liability claims against national hotel chain and negligence and wrongful death claims against diesel engine manufacturer.
- United States District Courts for the Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas.
- The Use of Complex Statistical Proofs in the New Wave of Public Tort Cases, (co-author) published in Product Liability Advisory Counsel Compensatory Damages Deskbook
- Cooling Off Public Nuisance Claims, (co-author), article published in Jones Day Commentary and The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel
- University of Texas School of Law (J.D. with honors 1996)
- Colorado State University (B.A. in Speech Communication, 1993)